The student news site of Ohio Valley University

The Highlander

OVU to Host Fall Golf Classic Oct. 10

Staff Report

Ohio Valley University will host its annual Fighting Scots Golf Classic on Monday, October 10 at the Parkersburg Country Club in Vienna, W.Va. The event is organized by the OVU Athletic Department and will begin with a shotgun start at 9:00am.

“Our scramble golf tournament last year was a huge success and we want to continue down that path of excellence this year,” said OVU Athletic Director and Tournament Chair Chad Porter. “All proceeds from the tournament benefit Ohio Valley University Athletics and we invite everyone to join us of fun day of golf. In addition to our regular Players Division, this year we have added a Corporate Cup Division to foster some friendly competition among the local businesses in the community,” Porter said.

“The new Corporate Cup division will only accept teams and winners will donate their cash prizes to charity. A traveling cup trophy will also be presented to the winning foursome. Along with that comes official bragging rights throughout the entire Mid-Ohio Valley for an entire year” said Porter.

In the Players Division, cash prizes of $800, $400 and $300 will be awarded to the first, second and third place teams. Skills contests such as longest putt, longest drive and closest to the pin will also be awarded. The cost to enter a foursome in the Players Division is $600. Individuals may also enter and be placed in a foursome for $175.

In the new Corporate Cup Division, cash prizes of $1,000, $600 and $500 will be awarded to the first, second, and third place teams. The winning foursomes will donate their cash prizes to the charity of their choice. The cost to enter a team in the Corporate Cup Division is $800.

All entry fees include 18 holes of scramble golf, cart, snacks, lunch and a gift bag. Golfers also may enter hole-in-one contests on designated holes sponsored by the Harold F. Tate Memorial Fund. Hole-in-one prizes will be offered on four holes and include $10,000 in cash, a Kindle, a $500 VISA gift card and a new set of Nike golf clubs. A putting contest and silent auction will be held during the event.

Official tournament sponsors to date include BSN Sports, Charlie Wentz State Farm Insurance, Pepsi and the Harold F. Tate Memorial Fund.

To become a sponsor of the OVU Fighting Scots Golf Classic, or to pre-register online, visit www.ovu.edu/golfclassic or contact Natalie Bradley at 304-865-6041 or[email protected].