The student news site of Ohio Valley University

The Highlander

U.S.News Ranks OVU Among Top 50 Best Colleges in South Region

More stories from Staff Report

With tuition rising and financial aid budgets shrinking, many undergrads have to borrow their way to a degree and accumulate huge debt along the way. However, according to a recent national study by U.S.News and World Report, Ohio Valley University is recognized as one of the top colleges in the nation helping students keep their college debt lower.

OVU was ranked fourth in the south region, among the Best Regional Colleges in the 2017 U.S.News & World Report America’s Best Colleges Guide, whose class of 2015 graduated with the lightest average debt loads.

“More and more students are finding a college education at Ohio Valley University very affordable,” said OVU Vice President for Academic Affairs Dr. Joy Jones. “As this study indicates, OVU is a compelling and attractive option when it comes to helping students finance their degree and providing long-term value,” Jones noted.

The data in the study included loans taken out by students from their colleges, from private financial institutions, and from federal, state and local governments. Loans directly to parents were not included in the report.

OVU Ranked in Tier 1 Top 50 Best Regional Colleges in the Nation
Ohio Valley University has also been ranked as one of the top 50 Best Colleges in the South Region in the 2017 U.S.News & World Report America’s Best Colleges Guide. This year marks the eighth consecutive year that OVU has been ranked in the study.

“We are pleased with our recent U.S.News & World Report ranking as one of the best colleges in the southern United States,” Jones said. “For over 50 years, Ohio Valley University has been the Mid-Ohio Valley’s number one choice for Christian higher education in our area. It is a distinct honor to be recognized for our Christ-centered academic community and the success of our degree programs.”

OVU Ranks Among Highest for Diverse Student Population
In addition to being ranked by U.S.News and World Report as one of the Best Colleges in the South Region, Ohio Valley University was reported the fourthhighest proportion of international students in the South Region for the 2015-16 academic year.

According to Jones, international students add diversity to a college or university, enriching the experience of other students on campus. “Schools with a strong global presence, like OVU, have a wealth of cultural groups and events, allowing international students an opportunity to share their food, music and traditions with their U.S. peers,” she said. International students at universities like OVU also benefit from a large foreign community when trying to acclimate to American life.

Among the subcategories as part of the overall ranking, OVU again stood out for class size with a student-to-faculty ratio of 10:1. “Smaller class sizes create more opportunities for one-to-one learning experiences, which greatly benefit student success,” noted Jones.

For the last two years, Ohio Valley University has maintained a 91 percent placement rate, with graduates either working in their chosen fields of study or pursuing graduate degrees. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the national average is 75 percent.

In June of this year, GradSource.com, the top online destination for prospective masters and doctoral students, also ranked Ohio Valley University as one of the top five universities in the nation to receive an online graduate degree in education.