The student news site of Ohio Valley University

The Highlander

Fall Ball

Athletics in the Fall Season

Dante Brammer, Sports Writer

A new school year marks not only the beginning of learning, but also the start of competition.  Ohio Valley’s fall sports are well underway as we move into the month of October.  The Volleyball team and both Men’s and Women’s Soccer teams are right in the thick of their seasons and pushing themselves to the limit.

The Volleyball team is just getting into league play as we move on into this season.  Their record is very deceiving to the real effort and hard work they put in each and every game.  Lead by one of the top Kills leaders in the nation, Alyx Henry and recent OVU record-breaker Megan Morrison, this team looks to finish this season strong.  They have the potential and know just what it takes to do just that.

The Men’s Soccer team started off the season slower than expected this season but has really caught fire as of late.  With a lot of returning team members from last year’s squad back this year, our men look to make a statement this season on the field.  The men really seem to bond with each other both on and off the field.  That kind of chemistry is what leads to success.  With their use of speed and athleticism, they may just turn into one of the favorites to win the GMAC this year.

The Women’s Soccer team is in the middle of a rebuilding process.  However, that does not mean that these ladies are not giving it their all each and every match.  These ladies are young but very athletic.  The possibilities for this team are endless.  That could be seen when they recently upset undefeated Ursuline College 2-1.  This match highlights the real potential this team has.  They will look to continue to build this season for the future.