The student news site of Ohio Valley University

The Highlander

Attending Ohio Valley University

It's Changed Me For the Better

Ariel Gardner, Contributing Writer

In august of 2015 I began attending OVU. My first impression was, “going to such a small school isn’t going to impact me.” After my first year of being at OVU its campus life grew on me. Coming back for my sophomore year felt refreshing because I missed it. Attending Ohio Valley University feels like my second home. I enjoy playing sports here just as well as going to class. I expanded my experience by getting involved with extra-curricular activities such as joining a social club and getting a local job.

OVU has also made me realize how important religion and faith is. I’ve always been a religious person but being here encouraged me to pursue religion on a more serious level. The administration here made me feel comfortable, and everyone here is very outgoing. So how has OVU changed me? Well mainly my perspective on things and life are different. Being here and being gone from home for the first time was difficult. It was difficult because I had to adjust to this new lifestyle as a “college student” without my family and friends. I’ve also calmed down a lot as a person, which has changed who I choose to surround myself with. Before I came to OVU I had never done laundry or gone food shopping on my own. Being here has turned me into a more independent individual.

The bible classes that are given here educate me more on Christianity. I went to a public high school, so I never took a religion class until I came here. The bible classes that I’ve taken thus far have been beneficial for me as a person. Being here has also taught me how to be culturally ethical. There are so many international people that attend OVU including some of my best friends. I’m more educated on different cultures and how international people perceive America. Being able to socialize with foreigners in a respectful way is something all American’s should be educated on. I’m thankful I learned how to do that here.

Ohio Valley University has formed me into an independent, wiser individual. I’m thankful for the people that I have met here, and the knowledge that I have obtained so far. I’m also fulfilled that I got to meet so many genuine people that turned into lifelong friends. Coming here is something that needed to happen to turn me into the adult that I am and needed to be. Everyone has to leave their comfort zone one day in order to be more aware in the “real world.” OVU showed me this. I’m honestly glad I made the decision to attend OVU, because it’s the exact setting and environment I need to be in.